The University was founded in 1992. In 1999, it was granted permission to be renamed in honour of the famous Russian poet Alexander Pushkin (also closely related to the University’s premises in former Tsarskoe Selo) to mark the instituition’s outstanding achievement in the field of education.
The University is a major educational and scientific center of North-Western Russia with a number of branches across the Russian Federation (in Moscow, Barnaul, Dudinka, Yekaterinburg, Norilsk, and Yaroslavl), and also in the towns of Leningrad Region (Boksitogorsk, Vyborg, Gatchina, Kingisepp, Luga, and Podporozhiye).
The University comprises 13 schools, 4 research institutes, 3 research-and-education centers, and about 30 laboratories.
Each of our schools is unique but, at the same time, they are all integral parts of a harmonious system with centralized administration, shared principles and traditions.
We conduct research in 13 scientific fields, with a number of active Candidate of Sciences and Doctor of Sciences Dissertation Councils.
Around 18,000 students are enrolled in our undergraduate and postgraduate courses. We offer 68 academic and 30 research degree programmes, as well as 18 vocational programmes. Around 37,000 full-time and part-time students have graduated from Pushkin Leningrad State University, thus completely satisfying the demand for highly-qualified professionals in Leningrad Region.
We employ over 500 teaching staff across 30 departments. 76% of our professors have advanced academic degrees (17% of them being Doctor of Sciences). Among our professors, there are fellows of the Russian Academy of Sciences and specialized academies of sciences, meritorious scientists, educationalists and artists, authors of acknowledged scientific and academic publications.
We hold over 60 regional, national, and international scientific conferences annually, among which Tsarskoe Selo Readings (first held in 1996) ranks especially high.
Our academic and research facilities (labs, libraries, and electronic classrooms) are being constantly improved.
The University holds a number of cultural events, the most prominent of them being Provincial Encounters Annual Music Festival (first held in 1993). The pride of the University is its Student Choir, active participant of various music festivals and winner of numerous music contests. The university’s social activities include “Student of the Year”, “Miss LSU”, and “KVN Comedy” competitions, which are very popular with our students. The University annually joins the traditional Tsarskoe Selo Carnival.
Pushkin Leningrad State University is
- collective member of the Scientific and Technical Council in the Government of Leningrad Region
- regular participant of specialized exhibitions of scientific projects for various sectors of the economy of St. Petersburg and Leningrad Region member of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- experimental site of the Federal Institute of Educational Development under the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation
- partner of the Interparliamentary Assembley of the Eurasian Economic Community (EurAsEC IPA) in the field of harmonization of legislation of EurAsEC member states in the field of higher education
- partner of the Institute of Correctional Pedagogy of the Russian Academy of Education (IPC RAO) under the Federal Target Program for the Development of Education in 2006-2010.
Ever since its foundation, the University’s rector has been Vyacheslav N. Skvortsov (Full Professor, Doctor of Economic Sciences, Meritorious Teacher of the Russian Federation, author of more than 200 publications in Pedagogy, Higher Education, Philosophy, and Economics).
OUR LATEST ACHIEVEMENTS
In 2010-2011, the University was the winner of the following contests:
- Creative Competition of Scientific Projects, Innovative Decisions and Programs in the Sphere of Higher Professional Education within the framework of the All-Russia Forum “Educational Equipments”;
- Russian Foundation for Basic Research Grant Contest with two international scientific conferences: “IV Global and local problems of historical geography” and “Ecological balance: anthropogenic interference in circulation of water in the biosphere”.
The University won the government contracts in
- “Implementation of distance learning in the system of general and secondary education in Leningrad Region”
- “Development of Local System of Secondary and Higher Education for Students with Special Needs”
- “Integrated Education for Disabled Children at Secondary Stage at Small Schools of Leningrad Region”
- ”Social and psycho-educational support of families with children in social risk position through restriction of parental rights in Volkhovsky District”
- ”Social and psycho-educational support of families with children in social risk position through restriction of parental rights in Volosovsky District”
The University has been awarded with a number of diplomas of the All-Russian Exhibition of Achievements of National Economy (VDNH).
- All-Russian Exhibition Centre certificate № 349 for the project "Role of lifelong learning in the regional socio-economic development"
- All-Russian Exhibition Centre certificate № 350 for the project "Navigator in the world of science: scientific-methodical support of students in the praxeological sphere"
- All-Russian Exhibition Centre certificate № 351 for the project " Development of Local System of Secondary and Higher Education for Students with Special Needs "
- All-Russian Exhibition Centre certificate № 352 for the project "Integrated Education for Disabled Children at Secondary Stage at Small Schools of Leningrad Region"
Rector of Pushkin Leningrad State University Vyacheslav N. Skvortsov holds the golden medal of the All-Russian Exhibition of Achievements of National Economy.
In 2010-2011, the University took part in various specialized salons, forums, congresses, and international exhibitions. The most prominent of them were
- Moscow International Salon of Innovations and Investments
- All-Russian Forum “Health of the Nation is the Basis of Russia’s Prosperity”
- Specialized Exhibition of Research Developments for Various Sectors of National Economy in Saint-Petersburg and Leningrad Region
- Moscow International Exhibition “Education and Career – XXI”
- Exhibition of Educational Services “Education and Career” (Minsk)
- Saint-Petersburg Educational Forum
- International Congress-Exhibition “Global Education – Education Without Borders”
In 2011 the University was selected to represent leading Russian universities at the Rectors’ Forum of more than 40leading Russian and Italian universities "The expansion of cooperation between educational institutions of Russia and Italy" held within the framework of the Year of Russian Culture and Language in Italy and the Year of Italian Culture and Language in the Russian Federation.
Rector of the Univeristy Vyacheslav N. Skvortsov made his presentation "University and Business: Problems of Cooperation" during the plenary meeting.
As part of the collaboration with the Eurasian Economic Community, the university holds a unique annual international forum on continuing education. 2011 saw the VIII session of the forum involving representatives of the legislature of EurAsEC country members and leading scientists from 22 countries: Austria, Armenia, Belarus, Bulgaria, Great Britain, Germany, Denmark, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Macedonia, the Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Ukraine, Finland, the Czech Republic, and Sweden. Conference proceedings were published in Russian and in English.
Pushkin Leningrad State University is the Scientific Coordination Center in International Studies of Pre-Cyrillic Slavic Written Language and Pre-Christian Slavic Culture. The research results are discussed in the Annual International Congress “Pre-Cyrillic Slavic Written Language and Pre-Christian Slavic Culture”. The 3rd International Congress took place in May 2010 and amassed the representatives of Bulgaria, Belarus, Germany, Macedonia, Russia,
Serbia, Slovenia, the USA.
The university’s North West Regional Centre of Culture and Religious Studies holds a regular scientific seminar “The space of culture: signs, symbols and meanings”.
The Research Institute for Geography, Ecology and Nature Management is engaged in developing the criteria and specifications of ecological stability of geospatial systems of various types with a view to rational nature management. It also carries out ecological maintenance, control and audit in the fields of ecological safety, rational nature management, sustainable regional development, analysis of the geo-ecological situation, and is involved in monitoring protected areas and monuments of cultural and natural heritage.
The Research Laboratory of Socialization Studies focuses on the individual psychological features of students at various stages of adaptation to the educational environment in higher education. The results obtained show the importance of adaptation for the students’ academic activities, and explain the mechanism of adaptation to the conditions of the educational environment in higher education.
The topical issue of providing distance learning opportunities to the professionals of Leningrad Region is successfully implemented by the Institute of informatics and its Laboratories.
The academic periodicals “Pushkin Leningrad State University Journal” and “Leningrad Judicial Journal” are on the list of the leading reviewed journals and editions accredited by the State Commission for Academic Degrees and Titles of the Russian Ministry of Education and Science.
The Univeristy Rector Vyacheslav N. Skvortsov is the current scientific supervisor of the following research trends:
- Consolidation and dissemination of the international best practices in continuous education for sustainable development
- Consolidation of the Russian-Lithuanian best practices in continuous education
- Ecological balance – anthropogenic environmental changes and sustainable development
- Socio-economic administration
- Cutting-edge management technologies in continuous professional development
- Development of theoretical and organizational basis of the national continuous professional development scheme – one of the factors for sustainable development
- Non-governmental HEIs in the context of the higher education reform
- Role of HEIs as regional centres for continuous education
- Personality development in the context of deprivation
- Regional model of socialization of children’s homes leavers in Leningrad Region
- Regional professional development schemes in the context of the innovative development of the Russian Federation
- Regional system of early psychological and pedagogical assistance foe young children with disabilities
- Socialization of children with intellectual disorders within the system of special education;
- Inclusive education for persons with disabilities
- History of public administration in Russia and its legal basis
- Impact of spirituality on the Russian history
- Transformation of employment relations in post-Soviet Russia (1990s and early 2000s)
OUR LATEST SCIENTIFIC ACHIEVEMENTS
In 2011 the professors of the university won several national prizes for the best scientific publications of 2010.
- Vyacheslav N. Skvortsov (Doctor of Economic Sciences), Andrei M. Sudarikov (Doctor of Historical Sciences), and Mikhail Frolov (Doctor of Historical Sciences) won the prize for the monograph «Leningrad scientists’ contribution to the development of the military-industrial complex in 1945-1955».
- Anatoly M. Makarsky (Candidate of (Pedagogical Sciences), Andrei I. Zhirov (Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences) won the prize for the monograph «Possible problems of improving the professional eco-geographical education caused by the reforms in the Russian higher education».
- Valentina S. Smirnova (Doctor of Agricultural Sciences) won the prize for the monograph «Floristic biodiversity in educational botanical gardens».
- Tatiana S. Kommisarova (Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences) won the prize for the coursebook «Cartography».
- Larisa M. Kobrina (Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences), Olga A. Denisova (Doctor of Pedagogical Sciences) won the prize for the manual «Abilitaion of deaf children of early age».
- Grigory V. Stelmashuk (Doctor of Philosophical Sciences), Vladimir I. Kravchenko (Doctor of Philosophical Sciences) won the prize for the manual «Political Science».
- Nikolai P. Kazakov (Doctor of Economic Sciences), Nataliya A. Yakubovskya (Candidate of Economic Sciences) won the prize for the manual «Personal and social safety. Safety features in tourism».
- Galina R. Chernova (Candidate of Philosophical Sciences) won the prize for the monograph «Image of relevant peer in students».
- Galina Yu. Avdienko (Candidate of Psychological Sciences) won the prize for the monograph «Concepts of social and psychological comfort of the educational environment in HEIs as part of psychological support system and student adaptation».
- Sergei V. Chermyanin (Doctor of Medical Sciences) won the prize for the manual «Basics of Suicidology in terms of Clinical Psychology».
N. Belyakova (Candidate of Pedagogical Siences, Associate Professor of the Department of Foreign Languages of Boxitogorsk branch) and A. Karvonen (Assistant Lecturer of the Department of Economics and Management of Kingisepp branch) won the Research Fellowships of the Governor of the Leningrad Region.
K. Afanasiev (Candidate of Philosophical Sciences) won the Committee on Science and Higher Education of St. Petersburg 2011 grant for the young scientists.
V. Fedotova (Candidate of Pedagogic Sciences) won the 2011award of Saint-Petersburg Government in Pedagogical Sciences.
V.Sotnik (Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences), A.Bolshakova (Assistant Professor of the Department of History and Humanities of a Boksitogorsk branch) and N.Yakubovskaya (Candidate of Economic Sciences) were awarded diplomas and golden badges “Teacher’s Word” (K. Tsiolkovsky to A. Chizhevsky) for the scientific supervision of students’ works in the VIIIth “I will be appreciated in the XXI century” All-Russian open competition of young people’s research and creative works. They were also awarded UNECO diplomas and golden badges in the IXth All-Russian competition of young people’s research and creative works.
Two students and a graduate student from the School of Law won the first prize at the All-Russian contest among young people in educational institutions and research organizations for the best work “My law-making initiative” in 2011. A student at the 4th year of study at the School of Law was awarded with the silver cross “National Treasure”.
There are two students from the Pushkin Leningrad State University among the winners of VIII All-Russian youth forum of the problems of cultural heritage, ecology and life safety “UNEKO – Moscow 2010”. A student at the 5th year of study at the School of Natural Science, Geography and Tourism was awarded with “UNEKO” silver insignia and nominated for competition for State Prize in talented youth support.
In 2011 26 students became winners and laureates of all-Russian competition “National Endowment of Russia”. It is the competition of achievements among talented youth, arranged by the State Duma, 2 students of the University were awarded with silver crosses “National Endowment of Russia”.
Four students of fourth grade became winners of VIII all-Russian open competition of youth research and creative works “I will be appreciated in XXI century”. Two students were nominated for competition for State Prize in sphere of backing of talented youth and awarded with silver insignias.
In 2011 PG student of Psychology School A. Sidorova became a winner of grant competition for students, PG students of Universities and academic institutes, situated in Saint Petersburg.